Veggie filled pasta sauce- shhhh, they’ll never know they’re in there!
Created by staceygreenliving on November 21, 2016
- 2 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large stock pot on med-high heat, heat your olive oil.
- Add your onion, celery and carrots to the pot and saute until soft approx. 5-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Once your veggies are soft add your garlic, mushrooms, oregano, basil, thyme and your bay leaf to the pot and saute them for 2 minutes while stirring to bring out the flavour of the herbs.
- Next, add your canned tomatoes and tomato paste to the pot along with your zucchini and broccoli and stir until everything is well combined.
- Turn the heat to low, add your vinegar and simmer your sauce for at least 45 minutes so that the flavours come together. Stir every once and a while as it simmers.
- Optional: run an immersion blender through the sauce to puree the veggies. They will disappear in the sauce. Serve on top of your favourite pasta or zucchini noodles. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.