Let’s be honest here, mornings can sometimes suck. They are hectic and rushed and by the time you’re out the door – you’ve completely forgotten to eat breakfast. It happens all the time. Breakfast seems like the one meal of the day that isn’t as important as the rest but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s actually the complete opposite! We NEED breakfast! YOU need breakfast. Here’s why:
You may have heard people talk about breakfast as breaking the fast and essentially that’s what it is. While you sleep your body goes into a rest and repair mode. You heal and regenerate and your body uses the energy perform these actions. By the time you wake up it’s time to refuel!
Breakfast also promotes weight-loss. I know you’re thinking “how can eating more food help me lose weight?” But it does! Eating breakfast stimulates your metabolism telling it to get moving and quit storing fuel which is what it does it you don’t eat. It also allows increases alertness, concentration levels and productivity. It’s all around good times and should not be skipped.
So what should you eat?
I know that when I wake up, the last thing I was to do is choke down some toast. It’s just completely unappealing to me and I just can’t do it. BUT that doesn’t mean I don’t eat anything, I just make different choices. Here are some options for your healthy morning start!!
- Oatmeal – I can’t say enough good things about oatmeal. It lowers cholesterol, contains fibre, and is delicious! But make sure you’re not eating the instant crap that’s filled with sugar. It takes about 15 mins to cook your own rolled oats and if you need a bit of sweetness, feel free to add a touch of natural honey or some berries. You’ll be full and ready to attack your day with energy!
- Cold cereal – I would suggest you make your own by combining some granola you’ve made with some nuts or seeds and use almond or soy milk. This way you’re not ingesting the hormones and chemicals that go into processed cereals and standard cow’s milk. Kashi makes some great organic, natural cereals if you don’t feel like making your own.
- Eggs – If you’re not vegan, eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins. Honestly, there isn’t a whole lot of difference from a nutrition stand point between free-range and regular store-bought. It has been suggested that because the hens have access to grass feed their eggs have higher levels of Omega 3, vitamins A and E but it’s not conclusive. From an ethical stand-point these hens are often treated better because they are allowed to roam free instead of being caged their whole lives. You decide which eggs are best for you and your family.
- Smoothies- My sister is a big fan of smoothies and she and her family make them almost every morning. Bust out the blender and toss in some berries, organic plain yogurt, a touch of honey and some water and you’re done! Throw in some bananas, avocados or even some veggies if you think you can sneak them in! The combinations are virtually endless and are only limited by your taste buds!!
- Juice – This is my personal favourite because as I mentioned above I can’t stand eating first thing in the morning. It makes me feel nauseous but I know that I must have something in my system to start my metabolism. I opt for fresh green juice. My standard juice of choice is: half a cucumber, 2 stalks of celery, half a bunch of romaine lettuce, about an inch of fresh ginger, one or two carrots and one green apple. Mmmmmm, nutrients…
- Fruit – Super easy, very little prep, filled with healthy goodness. Whatever fruit you enjoy is great but if you buy fruit that is in season it will be a heck of a lot cheaper.
- Lasagna – No, not really but my point here is you can eat whatever you like for breakfast as long as you eat something. Make sure you’re eating the very best wholesome and nutrient dense food you can afford. You only get one body – treat it well and it will last you a lifetime!
Tip of the Blog!!
Rev up your engine and give your body a small purification by drinking a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon squeezed in. Do this before anything else right when you wake up. It will detoxify your liver and cleanse your internal organs as well. All around good times!
Did you find this blog helpful? What do you eat for breakfast? Comment here, on Facebook at staceygreenliving or on Twitter – staceygliving.
Image from: irunnerblog.com